Wednesday 3 May 2017

Crime Writing Podcast Special

I have to be honest... Until recently, I'd never listened to a podcast. It had never even crossed my mind to check any out. I had a podcast app on my phone and iPad that had remained unopened. I'd even hidden it from view.



So what changed?
Firstly, I heard about the Two Crime Writers And A Microphone podcasts, featuring Steve Cavanagh and Luca Veste plus some of their blogger and author pals. And secondly, I read Six Stories by Matt Wesolowski, which is published by Orenda Books. Both opened up my eyes to a whole new world - that of conversation, discussion, learning and enjoyment.

I tend to listen to podcasts while I'm doing something mundane like ironing (although I don't do that as often as I should) or driving. Occasionally I listen to them when I'm out for a walk. I need to be able to concentrate so I can't have them on in the background while I'm working, reading or writing.

Which podcasts have I been listening to?



I've already mentioned Two Crime Writers And a Microphone. I have to admit I'm very behind as each one is around two hours long and I don't always have that time to spare. But they're great fun and definitely worth listening to, tackling topical issues and great discussions.
You can find out more here.



I've become addicted to The Honest Authors podcast by Gilly McAllister and Holly Seddon. I love these as they're shorter (around 40 to 60 minutes) and the easiest to slot into my day. These offer what they say on the tin. An honest account of what it means to be an author, from the pathway to publication to dealing with edits and publicity. I'm up to date and can't wait for the next one.
You can find out more here.



I've also started listening to The Bestseller Experiment - with author and screenwriter Mark Stay and 'future author' Mark Delvaux. Their plan is to write and publish a bestseller together within one year. During their writing journey, they speak to authors, publishers and agents about the 'business' of writing bestselling books. I still have a long way to catch upon these podcasts and probably won't have done so by the time the series has finished.
You can find out more here.



Plus I'm still searching for other podcasts that interest me. So far, I've found a true crime one (Crime Bites) and some other writing ones, including The Creative Penn. The list is endless, although sadly my time isn't.

Six Stories by Matt Wesolowski



Finally, about Six Stories, which set me on the podcast path. It was published in e-book in December 2016 and in paperback in March 2017. It's since been chosen for the WHSmith Fresh Talent Spring 2017 and I'm sure there are plenty more awards and success stories to come. It's marketed as perfect for fans of 'Serial' - yet another series of podcasts I need to listen to.

I was one of the first readers of Six Stories, thanks to the very lovely Karen Sullivan at Orenda Books. I knew straight away that this book would be a success.

If you haven't read my full review, you'll find it here. But here's a brief taster:

'Six Stories is unlike anything else I've read. It's current, fresh and skillfully delivered … An eerie spine-tingling read. It's unpredictable and chilling and kept me guessing all the way through. I don't scare easily, but certainly found this book unsettling … Everyone will want to read this book - and should!' 

I bought the audiobook, with its full cast of 17 narrators. Six Stories doesn't just read like a real podcast but it sounds like one too. This book was written to be read out loud!

Can you recommend any podcasts?

2 comments:

  1. S town and Serial are supposed to be very good.... I've downloaded lots but only ever really get around to honest authors.... I like the worried writer too! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's finding the time to listen that's the problem! You don't need to concentrate on music in the background while working or reading, but you do have to concentrate when listening to podcasts!

      Delete