Monday 18 June 2018

BEST OF CRIME with Sandie Jones

Welcome to my latest BEST OF CRIME feature, looking at crime writers' top picks, from their favourite author and fictional detective to their best writing tip. 




Today I'm delighted to welcome 

SANDIE JONES


to share her BEST OF CRIME ...




... AUTHORS
I love almost everything that Harlan Coben writes. His narrative is so immersive – he speaks my kind of language, and his plots are so well crafted. I especially enjoyed Six Years as you never know who you’re listening to and who you should trust. The same applies to Clare Mackintosh’s I Let You Go. I love getting to the end of a book and having everything I thought was true, turned on its head.


... FILMS/MOVIES
Primal Fear stayed with me for a long time after I watched it, and clearly still has an effect on me 20 years later! The ending shook me to the core – it was one of those moments when I looked around me with my mouth agape, thinking, ‘what the……..?’ 
It also introduced me to Edward Norton, one of my favorite actors, who, in my opinion, is hugely under-rated.


... TV DRAMAS
Cracker, starring Robbie Coltrane, was a show I never missed in the 1990’s. It was the first time I’d seen a police drama with such an emphasis on the psychology behind the crime. I guess today’s equivalent would be Luther, as Idris (and his coat) seem to know what makes a killer’s mind tick!


... FICTIONAL KILLERS
If it’s allowed, I’d like to say the women of Pirriwee in Big Little Lies. Although we know only one of them is the killer, I love the fact that they stood in solidarity, so the police had to charge them all or none at all. 


... FICTIONAL DETECTIVES 
Julien Baptiste in The Missing is, for me, the epitome of a detective. He’s an old school sleuth, being dragged, kicking and screaming into contemporary crime-solving. There are no airs and graces, no political correctness, no holding back, yet he’s still charm personified and boy, does he get the job done?


... MURDER WEAPONS
The crossbow and arrow used in Lionel Shriver’s We Need to Talk about Kevin,for the ultimate heart-stopping moment.
    

... DEATH SCENES
The most bizarre and yet incredibly moving death scene is the jellyfish in the bath in Seven Pounds. The care and attention that is put into creating the perfect death, so that others are able to benefit is extraordinary and had me crying for hours!
  

... BLOGS/WEBSITES
I’m a late comer to Facebook, but it’s a great source for advice and fact-checking. There are groups and clubs for every subject under the sun, whether it be crime research, writing guidance or if you just want to sound an idea out amongst fellow writers/readers.
I also rely heavily on www.thesaurus.com as I can spend half a day thinking of the word that’s on the tip of my tongue!


... WRITING TIPS
Start. Simple, but true. Every day there will be reasons not to write and every day we berate ourselves for not getting on with it. But once you start, you’re off and away. 
And be open to the idea of writing anywhere. I wrote The Other Woman on an Ipad, in waiting rooms, hairdressers and on public transport!


... WRITING SNACKS
I start off the morning with blueberries, a banana and almonds. By the afternoon, I’m so chuffed with my healthy eating regime that I reward myself with crisps, chocolate and biscuits!


About SANDIE JONES
Sandie Jones is a freelance journalist and has contributed to The Sunday TimesDaily Mail, Woman’s Weekly and Hello magazine, amongst others. If she wasn’t a writer, she’d be an interior designer as she has an unhealthy obsession with wallpaper and cushions. She lives in London with her husband and three children.

Find Sandie Jones on her website, on her Facebook page and on Twitter - @realsandiejones


About THE OTHER WOMAN


Publisher's description
When Emily meets Adam she knows he is the One. 
That together they can deal with anything that is thrown at them.
But lurking in the shadows is another woman, Pammie. A woman who shares a deep bond with the man she loves. A mother whose love for her son knows no bounds.
Now Emily is about to find out just how far Pammie will go to get what she wants . . .

The Other Woman was published by Pan on 14 June 2018.


Look out for more BEST OF CRIME features coming soon.

Click here to read more BEST OF CRIME features.


No comments:

Post a Comment