Thursday 2 March 2017

BEST OF CRIME with Erin Kelly

Welcome to a new feature on my blog called BEST OF CRIME, looking at crime writers' top picks, from their favourite author and fictional detective to their best writing tip. 



Today I'm delighted to welcome 

ERIN KELLY

to share her BEST OF CRIME... 



... AUTHORS
Ruth Rendell. No one can match her. I love the Wexfords, the standalones, the Barbara Vines: she, more than any other author, is my inspiration and my blueprint.


... FILMS/MOVIES
Alfred Hitchcock’s Marnie


... TV DRAMAS
Cracker. I re-watch the box set every few years. It still feels fresh and relevant.


... FICTIONAL KILLERS
Joe Goldberg, the charmingly deranged sociopath narrator of Caroline Kepnes’s novels You and Hidden Bodies.


... FICTIONAL DETECTIVES
The flawed, funny, incredibly human DI Manon Bradshaw, from the fiendish imagination of Susie Steiner. I’ve just finished the second installment in the series, Persons Unknown, and it felt like catching up with a friend.


... MURDER WEAPONS
An icicle, because then you can melt the evidence.


 … DEATH SCENES
I’m very proud of one of my own: the final murder in my debut The Poison Tree. I still get loads of emails about it.


... BLOGS/WEBSITES
I love the Facebook page for the podcast My Favourite Murder. It’s a mash up of true crime and humour – it pushes the boundaries of good taste but it’s so addictive.


... WRITING TIPS
Read widely. Read authors who write like you and authors who don’t. Then re-read them. Read closely. Circle passages you love and think about why they work.


... WRITING SNACKS
When I’m on deadline and can’t be bothered to cook I live off these horrible workout supplements/meal replacements called ProMax – protein bars fortified with caffeine. Then I go to bed completely wired and wonder why I can’t sleep. I don’t recommend it.

First Monday Crime, March 2017
Erin Kelly will be on the First Monday Crime panel on 6 March 2017. Come along and listen to her and three other fantastic authors - Julia CrouchDaniel Cole and MJ Arlidge - talk about their books and crime writing. The event is held at Browns, St Martins Lane, London at 6.30pm.

Buy your tickets here.


About Erin Kelly
Erin Kelly is best known for The Poison Tree, which was a Richard and Judy bestseller and a major ITV drama. Her new psychological thriller, He Said/She Said, is published in April 2017. Its about a couple who witness a crime and only doubt their version of events after the trial, with deadly consequences. She has no plans to move into romantic comedy.

Find out more about Erin Kelly on her website and follow Erin on Twitter - @mserinkelly


About He Said/She Said




Publisher's description
In the hushed aftermath of a total eclipse, Laura witnesses a brutal attack.
She and her boyfriend Kit call the police, and in that moment, four lives change forever.
Fifteen years on, Laura and Kit live in fear.

And while Laura knows she was right to speak out, she also knows that you can never see the whole picture: something is always hidden... something she never could have guessed.


He Said/She Said is being published by Hodder & Stoughton on 20 April 2017.


Look out for more BEST OF CRIME features coming soon.


Click here to read more BEST OF CRIME features.



No comments:

Post a Comment