Tuesday 24 July 2018

MY PUBLISHING LIFE with Hannah Sheppard

Welcome to my latest MY PUBLISHING LIFE feature, an interview with a literary agent, publisher, publicist or editor about their publishing career to date. Some serious questions, and some just for fun!



Today I'm delighted to welcome 

HANNAH SHEPPARD

Literary Agent
at
DHH Literary Agency




What and when was your first job in publishing?
My first job was a six-month placement on a poetry website that Macmillan Children’s Books were launching – it was very varied; from clearing the permissions for the use of the poetry to liaising with teaching experts about lesson plans and on to website testing (which I seem to remember involved endless games of hangman while we tried to get that working). I was very lucky that towards the end of my six months, a permanent Editorial Secretary (which I don’t think is a title that’s used any more – this was back in 2002) job came up and I started working my way up through the editorial ranks. 
Before that, I’d worked in a bookshop one afternoon a week while I was at university and also did two stints of work experience in publishing – one adult, one children’s.

How long have you been working in your current job/role?
I’ve been an agent for five years. And spent 10 years in house before that. 

Which books have you worked on recently/are you working on?
I’ve been lucky enough to work with some incredible authors. At Macmillan, I was Marion Lloyd’s assistant, which meant I got to work with Eva Ibbotson and later I was working with another editor who worked with both Chris Riddell and Frank Cottrell Boyce. When I moved to Headline to run their YA list, I published Tanya Byrne’s HEART-SHAPED BRUISE, which I’m very proud of. 
As an agent, I work with lots of incredibly talented authors, such as Abi Elphinstone, Keris Stainton, Adam Hamdy and Chris McGeorge – and there are a few names to watch out for – Amy Beashel and Kate Mallinder for instance. 
Most of my current editorial work is on exciting books that I can’t talk about yet…but I am working on some wonderful debuts at the moment and I can’t wait for other people to start reading! You can find a full list of my current authors here: http://www.dhhliteraryagency.com/hannah-sheppard.html

Which qualifications/life skills/experience have helped you get to where you are today?
Being a reader is the biggest one. You have to read widely to get a good sense of what works and what doesn’t – and what you like and don’t – because so much of being both an agent and an editor is instinct and gut feeling. And you have to trust your instincts and not second guess because other people don’t feel the same. 
Maybe also single-mindedness. I knew this was what I wanted to do so I didn’t listen to the careers advisors who sucked in their breath and told me publishing was very difficult to get into and maybe I should think about teaching (because that really isthe only option open to English graduates). That same single-mindedness and unshaking belief in something helps when you’re trying to sell a book too. 

How do you relax after a busy working day?
There’s a lot of work reading that goes on in the evenings and at weekends (my submission inbox and any manuscripts I’ve called in are mostly tackled outside of office hours). But I like to try to have a just for fun book on the go too. And I’m really enjoying binging TV series that have a really good story at their heart – recent favourites include This Is Us from the US and Unforgotten from ITV (I’m very excited that new series of both are imminent!). I also love the theatre – It’s definitely all about story. I’m trying to do more knitting so that my hands are busy with something other than my phone. 
When I’m working from home I try to go for a lunchtime swim to break up the day and as much as I hated exercise as a kid I now realise it’s very important for my mental health. 

What was the last book you read for pleasure?
I read Home by Amanda Berriman and I thought it was a brilliant example of voice done well – it also managed to make me feel physically anxious at times. My TBR pile is humungous. There are books everywhere. Including in my bed. 

Describe your job in 15 words or less...
Oooh, my favourite description was given to me by an author, Natalie Flynn…
I re-habilitate my client’s wayward imaginary friends before finding them forever homes.

What have been the highlights of your publishing life so far
There are too many to choose from really…
I love this industry – it’s full of supportive and talented people who are passionate about what they do and working with them is a real highlight. 
And each and every one of my authors’ successes is a joy – I love to champion them and celebrate each victory (big or small). 
I do remember the first time I walked out of Macmillan Children’s Books with a manuscript in my canvas bag (pre-eReaders, I always had both a handbag and a canvas bag full of manuscripts – I don’t miss that) having just started as an editorial secretary. It was one of those clear, crisp nights in the run up to Christmas when all the lights are starting to go on and everything looks pretty and I couldn’t have been happier to have that manuscript to read. It felt like such a moment of achievement…there have been bigger achievements since (a Waterstones Book of the Month with Abi Elphinstone’s SKY SONG earlier this year for instance was a real joy), but that is one where the feeling has really stuck with me.   

If you could try out any other job for one day (with no limits on money, travel etc.), what would you choose?
I’d love to be a pilot. Early on in my career I considered quitting publishing to go and retrain…but even with the backing of a commercial airline it’s horrifically expensive. I love the idea of having that freedom though. One day, when I’m super rich (cough), I’ll get my pilot’s licence. 

If your publishing life was a book, what would the title be?
Thank You For Your Patience… I feel like I’m saying this all the time – to clients waiting for edits and to authors who have submitted. An agent’s job is a busy one and there’s never enough time to fit everything in. It’s also fitting for publishing in general, which often feels incredibly slow…the whole process of getting a book out can take far longer than anyone outside of the industry realises. 

Thanks so much for taking part, Hannah!


Look out for more MY PUBLISHING LIFE features coming soon.

Click here to read more MY PUBLISHING LIFE features.

If any literary agents, publishers, publicists or editors would like to take part, please contact me through my blog or Twitter for the full list of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment