Thursday 3 January 2019

The Secrets You Hide by Kate Helm

The Secrets You Hide
By Kate Helm
Published by Zaffre (Ebook - out now; Paperback  - 7 February 2019)
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher


Publisher's description
Georgia Sage has a gift: she can see evil in people. As a courtroom artist she uses her skills to help condemn those who commit terrible crimes. After all, her own brutal past means she knows innocence is even rarer than justice. 
But when she is drawn back into the trial that defined her career, a case of twisted family betrayal, she realises her own reckless pursuit of justice may have helped the guilty go free.
As Georgia gets closer to the truth behind the Slater family, something happens that threatens not only her career - but even her own sanity. At first, she fears her guilt around the events of her terrible childhood is finally coming back to haunt her. 

My verdict
The Secrets You Hide is a twisty psychological thriller filled with emotion and intrigue.

This was (yet again) one of those books that I couldn't stop reading but really wanted to slow down to savour the writing. And it hooked me right from the very first page. The writing is compelling and easy to read, brilliantly bringing the characters and setting to life.

The Secrets You Hide is an original and gripping addition to the psychological thriller genre. I've struggled with this genre recently, finding that so many books 'seem the same'. So I loved the unusual premise of using a courtroom artist as the protagonist.

The book provided a fascinating insight into Georgia Sage's work and revealed how one person's 'first impressions' can influence the thoughts, actions and emotions of other people through a few simple brush strokes - and how they don't always get this right. Georgia has her own traumatic past to deal with - which has a strong influence on her work and also her relationships with the people around her. I found myself totally invested in her life, as she explored her past, fought her inner demons and thought about her future.

I often spot twists and turns, but this book certainly managed to throw me off track in a couple of places, especially at the end. As everything clicked into place, I kicked myself (not literally, of course) for not connecting the dots sooner.

A fantastic novel. Pre-order it!


No comments:

Post a Comment