Thursday 4 July 2019

BEST OF CRIME with Katerina Diamond

Welcome to my latest BEST OF CRIME feature, looking at crime writers' top picks, from their favourite author and fictional detective to their best writing tip. 




Today I'm delighted to welcome 

KATERINA DIAMOND


to share her BEST OF CRIME ...




... AUTHORS
Too many great authors around at the moment and crime fiction is really experiencing a boom of talent. For my top author of the moment, I'm going to say Sarah Pinborough. 


... FILMS/MOVIES
Anyone who knows me knows that I practically mainline Movies and TV – I even watch TV while I am writing. I have so many favourite thrillers: Taken, Murder by numbers, Copycat, Manhunter and so many more but if I had to pick one, and its one that I watch a couple of times every year because of its brilliant cast and acting its got to be Internal Affairs.


... TV DRAMAS
Oh dear, where to even start? There are so many amazing TV dramas these days. I do gravitate towards crime based shows anyway – some of my favourites include The Wire, Justified, Hannibal, The Shield, Southland, Deadwood ~ really far too many to even list but if I had to pick one, and again, I watch this entire series at least once a year because of its hard-hitting and gripping storylines, excellent characterisation and tragically complex relationships  – I pick Oz


... FICTIONAL KILLERS
This is a pretty easy one for me, my life-long obsession with Batman started before I can actually remember. There is something horribly chilling about the unpredictability, hedonism and sadism of The Joker.


... FICTIONAL DETECTIVES 
Following on from my previous answer, it’s most definitely Batman. I have several graphic novels that I have collected over the years. What I like most is how he plans for every eventuality, he always thinks five steps ahead of the person he is investigating and for that reason he always wins. I know its probably not considered classic crime but created in 1939 for DC (Detective Comics), he’s passed the test of time, With two television series, countless animation and TV spin offs.  He’s the only man for me. 


... MURDER WEAPONS
I imagine this has come up before but in the Tales of the Unexpected story, there's the woman who kills her husband with the frozen leg of lamb, cooks it and then serves it to the police officers, genius.


... DEATH SCENE
I have recently re-read Red Dragon and I did really enjoy the Dolarhyde passages, he was so completely messed up and the way he killed was awful but the backstory gave it a certain poetry. A truly sinister individual. Killing whole families and putting mirrors in their eyes so that he can watch himself transform into The Red Dragon.  


... BLOGS/WEBSITES
This is a tricky one – but I always look up houses and base my characters homes on ones I find on rightmove.co.uk.


... WRITING TIPS
Power through your first draft to the end, edit afterwards. Getting those words down and a basic story is a major hurdle and you can then take your time making it brilliant. No one’s first draft is brilliant. 


... WRITING SNACKS
I am a sucker for halloumi, I tend to write most in the mornings and grilled halloumi is quick to make and filling.  


About KATERINA DIAMOND
Katerina is the author of the Sunday Times Best Selling Exeter-based crime thriller series - starting with The Teacher and followed by The SecretThe AngelThe Promise and Truth or Die. Katerina is currently working on her seventh novel, which is a standalone.
Katerina also runs the Facebook book group CRIME SUSPECT with several other crime authors. 
Katerina currently lives in East Kent. Katerina was born in Weston-super-Mare and has lived in various places since including Greece, Cyprus, Derby, East London and Exeter. Katerina watches way too much TV.

Find Katerina Diamond on her website and on Twitter - @TheVenomousPen


About TRUTH OR DIE




Publisher's description
When Professor Hugh Norris is found brutally murdered at Exeter university, DS Imogen Grey and DS Adrian Miles turn to the students for answers. Who would target a seemingly innocent man – and why? Someone knows more than they’re letting on – and they’re playing a very sinister game. A game so dark, it will shake the university to its core…
As another professor is found butchered and the death toll begins to rise, the police have to examine their own pasts to uncover the person behind the killings – before it’s too late. But are they brave enough to face up to the truth?

Truth or Die is being published by Avon on 11 July 2019.


Look out for more BEST OF CRIME features coming soon.

Click here to read more BEST OF CRIME features.

No comments:

Post a Comment