Monday 19 August 2019

Breaking Dad by James Lubbock

Breaking Dad
By James Lubbock
Published by Mirror Books (April 2019)
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher




Publisher's description
Think you've got a dysfunctional family?
Meet mine.
For 18 years, my family lived a normal life in a respectable suburb…
Until one day, my dad gave up his successful career, and unexpectedly became Britain's most wanted crystal meth dealer.
This is our story. At times shocking, often unbelievable, and all 100% true.

My verdict
Breaking Dad is about a very unconventional - and dysfunctional - family. It reads like a work of fiction - but the story is true.

James Lubbock's father switched from being a quiet and successful businessman to being a crystal meth dealer, addicted to drugs and leading a bohemian lifestyle. So James had to become the 'sensible' one, trying to keep his dad's behaviour in check.

I first heard about the book in the Jewish Chronicle newspaper and was intrigued to learn more, especially as the family originally lived close to where I grew up, not far from where I live now. Most of the book is set elsewhere, but I still had a strong sense of understanding the family background - especially the Jewish references - and why the events would have been so out of character.

Breaking Dad is filled with humour and honesty. It's fun to follow, yet there's also a sense of sadness when you read between the lines. It made me laugh, cry and somewhere in-between. James Lubbock isn't afraid to share his feelings about events of the past. The book is written as if he's chatting to a friend in a pub - no holds barred.

I wished there had been longer to 'chat' as I would have loved a few more details in some places. But obviously there's a limit to what you can fit in a book. So obviously I did the next best thing, which involved Googling more... And that's always a sign that a book has been a fascinating read.


No comments:

Post a Comment