Monday 12 August 2019

The Night She Died by Jenny Blackhurst

The Night She Died
By Jenny Blackhurst
Published by Headline (November 2018)
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher



Publisher's description
On her own wedding night, beautiful and complicated Evie White leaps off a cliff to her death. 
What drove her to commit this terrible act? It's left to her best friend and her husband to unravel the sinister mystery. 
Following a twisted trail of clues leading to Evie's darkest secrets, they begin to realize they never knew the real Evie at all...

My verdict
The Night She Died is yet another dark psychological thriller from Jenny Blackhurst.

It's the story of Evie and her best friend Rebecca - and what led Evie to jump off a cliff to her death on her own wedding night. It sounds like a straightforward suicide but, as expected, there's far more to the plot than that. The narrative is split mainly between Evie and Rebecca, opening up a complex and twisty plot of secrets, lies and betrayal.

I had no idea which way this book was going - right through to the end. The book has been cleverly plotted and cleverly written to confuse as much as possible. As soon as I thought I had worked it out, the author threw something else into the mix, jumbling up my thoughts yet again. And made me question whether I even trusted any of the characters,

I love Jenny Blackhurst's books and should have read The Night She Died sooner. It means I'm now a book behind, as Someone is Lying is out in ebook already - but it's on my shopping list (paperback out in November!).

No comments:

Post a Comment