Thursday 30 November 2017

Sweet Little Lies by Caz Frear

Sweet Little Lies
By Caz Frear
Published by Zaffre (29 June 2017)
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher



Publisher's description
WHAT I THOUGHT I KNEW
In 1998, Maryanne Doyle disappeared and Dad knew something about it?
Maryanne Doyle was never seen again.

WHAT I ACTUALLY KNOW
In 1998, Dad lied about knowing Maryanne Doyle.
Alice Lapaine has been found strangled near Dad's pub. 
Dad was in the local area for both Maryanne Doyle's disappearance and Alice Lapaine's murder - FACT
Connection?

Trust cuts both ways . . . what do you do when it's gone? 
My verdict
Sweet Little Lies was one of those books that made me think as I read. I had no idea who could be trusted or even if anyone could be trusted (whoever they were). I found myself questioning everything - trying to guess what was going on, with little success I should add.

Caz Frear not only writes with confidence, but has also managed to plot a very twisty tale. Sweet Little Lies is more than just a police procedural as it focuses heavily on the main protagonist, police officer Cat Kinsella. Cat's family background is carefully woven into the story when she realises her father has links with the murder victim. So the book is part-psychological thriller too.

Cat is very real with sharp cynical observations and believable flaws. I found myself getting right inside her head, listening to (and feeling) her daily struggle between loyalty to her family and loyalty to her job. Much of the story is set in places I know very well, which really brought the book to life for me - it's not often that I find Radlett, Hertfordshire, mentioned in a book.

With just the right mix of humour, darkness and well-written narrative, Sweet Little Lies is an impressive crime novel filled with unreliable characters and plenty of intrigue.


No comments:

Post a Comment