Wednesday 17 April 2019

On My Life by Angela Clarke

On My Life
By Angela Clarke
Published by Mulholland Books (E-book - out now; Paperback - 11 July 2019)
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley




Publisher's description
Framed. Imprisoned. Pregnant.
Jenna thought she had the perfect life: a loving fiancé, a great job, a beautiful home. Then she finds her stepdaughter murdered; her partner missing.
And the police think she did it...
Locked up to await trial, surrounded by prisoners who'd hurt her if they knew what she's accused of, certain someone close to her has framed her, Jenna knows what she needs to do:
Clear her name
Save her baby
Find the killer
But can she do it in time?

My verdict
On My Life is a punchy whodunnit that was impossible to put down.

The premise drew me in straight away, along with compelling writing and a tense race against the clock, with Jenna determined to clear her name to save herself and her baby. The snappy chapters switch between Now and Then, contrasting Jenna's seemingly great life in the past with her current situation.

As well as being a fast-paced psychological thriller, this is a shocking portrayal of pregnant women (and young vulnerable women) in prison and their lack of rights and access to information. Descriptions of prison life were harrowing at times and so realistic that I felt as though I was there too - hearing every slam of a cell door and experiencing the women's claustrophobia and fear.

Another well-researched crime novel that's taught me something, as well as entertained me, and left me musing over a system that's clearly in desperate need of reform.

Definitely Angela Clarke's best book yet! Can't wait to see what's next!

No comments:

Post a Comment