Saturday 3 January 2015

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

I Let You Go
By Clare Mackintosh
Published by Little Brown (6 November 2014; paperback on 7 May 2015)
ISBN: 978-0751554168



Goodreads description
A tragic accident. It all happened so quickly. She couldn't have prevented it. Could she?
In a split second, Jenna Gray's world is shattered. Her only hope of moving on is to walk away from everything she knows to start afresh. Desperate to escape her past, Jenna moves to a remote cottage on the Welsh coast, but she is haunted by her fears, her grief and her memories of the cruel November night that changed her life forever.
DI Ray Stevens is tasked with seeking justice for a mother who is living every parent's worst nightmare. Determined to get to the bottom of the case, it begins to consume him as he puts both his professional and personal life on the line.
As Ray and his team seek to uncover the truth, Jenna, slowly, begins to glimpse the potential for happiness in her future. But her past is about to catch up with her, and the consequences will be devastating...

My verdict
Wow, what a rollercoaster read.

The book starts as a combination of police procedure and the start of a 'chick lit'-style romance. A child is run over and the distraught single mother, who is overcome with grief, runs away to remote Wales.

But then the whole story shifted. I can't remember ever doing this while reading a novel, but I actually had to flick (or click) back to the beginning to check I hadn't missed something - maybe there had been a sign of what was to come. But I found nothing - this is an incredibly cleverly written story.

From that moment on, I was glued to the book and couldn't put it down. There were so many twists and turns that I felt exhausted. Certainly a book to remember.

If you haven't already read I let You Go, what are you waiting for… BUY IT NOW!

1 comment:

  1. Agreed! In particular that first twist made me jump - literally!

    ReplyDelete